Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun Jan 4 22:40:04 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 22:29, Don Matlock wrote:
> Hi all,
> New to the list:)
> Anyways, I was wondering where is the area that you would turn X off
> from automatically starting when you start the computer...either through
> GUI or through command line would be great:).
> Don

Hi,

I guess you have problems with X:
  After the bios loads, grub's console loads.
  Type 'e' (for edit) then select the line with the Linux version and
type 'e' again.
  The cursor should be somewhere around the end of the line, type:
single, and then press 'enter'.

  You will be booted in single user mode with a root shell.

  Type the following magic formulae:

perl -pi -e "s/id:5:initdefault:/id:3:initdefault:/" /etc/inittab

This is a small perl script that changes the default runlevel from 5
(graphical) to 3 (text mode).

Alternative, if you're familiar with text mode editors, just edit
/etc/inittab, search for initdefault and change the preceding 5 into a
3.

Good luck, Rui

+ So let's do it...?