Bind v. TinyDNS

Christopher Chan cchan at outblaze.com
Mon Jan 5 05:07:48 UTC 2004

Alex White wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:27:22 +0800 Christopher Chan <cchan at outblaze.com>
> typed with great determination:
>

>>>what license? DJB does not believe in licensing.
>>>
>>>I cannot believe that people actually come out and complain about what
>>
>>>they can or cannot do with somebody's work.
>

> Well, I didn't complain per se about what can or can not be done with
> the work. I don't use the work, but if I did, I wouldn't have a problem
> with it then now would I?

You did say you find DJB's license quite unreasonable.

> Secondly, once you state what can or can not be done with something, I'm
> thinkin' that's a license. It may not even be on a piece of paper, but
> it's still a license. A license is after all, Authority or liberty given
> to do or forbear any act. This is especially true if it is a formal
> permission from proper authorities (in this case the writer of said
> software) to do a certain act (or not do a certain act).
>
> Is this not correct? I would think so.
>
> Alex

Hmm. That is the dictionary definition of the word license.

So you don't like the limited way in which you are allowed to distribute
qmail. How can anybody judge a person because he limits the ways you are
allowed to distribute his work or even to use his work like most of the
other software available?