Using dual cpu capabilities

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Mon Jan 5 23:36:30 UTC 2004

Mike wrote:
> Good day,
>
> i am new to this list and I like it what I till so far concerning Fedora
> core 1. The parts I need are a seamless integrated!
>
> My question:
> I am planning to use a Dual Xeon server. Am I correct that I just need to
> recompile the kernel? And is there a way to do an automatic update for this
> for using a dual Xeon?
> Can anybody give me some information about how to proceed with dual CPU's in
> Fedora (or is there a automatic way?)?

Just install it. Fedora seems quite happy, and will automatically
install (and default to using) the SMP-capable kernel.

I have it running fairly happily on a Dell 1750, although I should
probably go in and disable Hyperthreading on general principle.

[bevan at rubidium ~]> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name"
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
[bevan at rubidium ~]> rpm -qa | grep fedora-release
fedora-release-1-3