ownership / permissions on a fat32 drive

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jan 6 05:42:58 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 06.01.2004 schrieb Trevor Smith um 06:23:
> On Monday 05 January 2004 11:04 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > If you really want to write as a normal user inside the mysql directory
> > on the windows partition you should think over adding a special
> > maintaining user and add him to the mysql group. Become this new user
>
> No, wait. I think you might have just suggested a solution to my problem, but
> I'm not quite sure.
>
> You see, I don't want to write inside the MySQL directory -- I have set the
> ownership of the entire partition to 'mysql' so I can't write to *any* of it
> as my normal user (trevor).

This point I did understand as it is the normal behaviour when mounting
a vfat partition with uid and gid.

> Maybe what I should do is somehow set just the MySQL data directory that I
> have set on the vfat partition to be owned by 'mysql'. The rest could be
> owned by 'trevor' (since I'm the only one using the system).

That would of course solve your problem - if it is possible. You could
try "mount --bind" and see if that will overwrite the trevor uid with
the mysql uid for the mysql directory. See "man mount" for it. I am not
sure if that works with vfat!

> Does that sound right? I'll have to go read about how to do that...

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999