an up2date idea

Don dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Thu Jan 8 06:43:22 UTC 2004

I use up2date from the command line, with the way it was configured
during a clean install.

I've seen various suggestions to reconfigure up2date to use mirror sites
etc....

I'm not a linux guru by any means, but I do have an active
imagination... :-)

Would it be beneficial for the default web site to basically act as a
traffic director... requests directed to it would be redirected to a
mirror site... either random from a list of synch'd sites, or on a
round-robin basis...

This still allows knowledgeable people to reconfigure as they want, but
the real benefit I see is an improves overall reliability of up2date.

Obviously this isn't a change in Fedora, just a change to the web server
supporting up2date.

If wanted, such redirects could even be decided on based on server
load.... if it's not terribly busy go ahead and service the request.

Well, there's an idea.... :-)
Is it sound?

Don