up2date is *horrid*

robin laing robin.laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jan 8 16:53:22 UTC 2004

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 08 January 2004 05:57, Philip Wyett wrote:
>>
> I understand what he wants.. Maybe a drop-down list in the
> configuration part of up2date... Then it would save your choices in
> the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.. Just a GUI to make things easier to
> new users.... And you wouldnt need to chose the mirror every time...
>
> Pedro Macedo

Why not look at a way of autoselecting a mirror by testing speed of the
connection or by using 'traceroute' to find the closest mirror.  The
mirror list could be part of a configuration file setup during
installation and updates.  If the software is smart enough, if a server
hangs or slows down, then it could change to a different server.

This method would not require user interaction and improve the
usablility of the whole process.

I am new to Fedora and I havn't tried the up2date yet as one machine is
new and I have to ensure that it is ready for productive work tomorrow
and the other machine died while doing a kernel upgrade (hardware, not
fedora).