/dev/dsp not honouring permission settings

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at prince.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 9 04:27:10 UTC 2004

The famous speaker who no one had heard of said:
> lsof /dev/dsp can tell you if a process is accessing that device.

This gives me no output, so I assume that means nothing is accessing it.

> Are you sure it is /dev/dsp you need to play the sound? There is also
> /dev/audio.

It could be /dev/audio, but that is included when I change the permissions of
<sound> in /etc/security/console.perms.  The <sound> class lists
/dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/midi* /dev/midi* /dev/sequencer /dev/sound/* /dev/beep
That pretty much covers any and all possible sound devices, but none of the
permissions are changed for any of those devices, even when the permissions I set
for <sound are 0777 when a user is logged in and when no one is logged in.

PRINCE