eth1 is dead -- SOLVED!

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Fri Jan 9 14:40:10 UTC 2004

Hi Iain!

>>> iain at pcorp.com.au 01/08/04 05:47PM >>>
>On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 07:51, Michael Weber wrote:
>[snip]
>> I can ping the address just fine, but I cannot ping anything out of
>> that interface.  The other interface is fully operational.  If I
ping
>> the interface from a known functional system, I get no returns.
Not
>> even an ARP response.
>
><snip>
>How about some setup details.  Switch? hub? crossover cables?  If
you're
>using a switch with lights, are they all showing a link status?  What
ip
>address is the other machine you're trying from - 172.16.30.25?  And
>ask the obvious (in my experience this is the biggest cause of
problems)
>are the cables and connections ok?  Can you prove it? (eg, "I just
>bought it" isn't good enough!)
>
>What happens when you disable eth0, and 'ping -b 172.16.0.255'?
>
>What happens when you put a crossover cable between the two nics, put
>their ip addresses on the same subnet, and
>'ping -I <address1> <address2>'?

When I did some of this, I discovered it was the NIC fighting with the
hub over what kind of 100-B-T it was using.  Switched the hub and
everything works.

I guess you can't even trust link lights all the time!  I had
linky-linky, but no worky-worky!

Thanx, all for your help.

(Hmmm... Another problem solved by an Aussie.  Some of those guys from
down-under are pretty sharp!)

-Michael