Networking (WireLess)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 9 23:53:33 UTC 2004

Mike Watson wrote:

> On Friday 09 January 2004 02:43 pm, Logan wrote:
>
>>I plan to build a computer in the next couple of months and I have to
>>do wireless networking..On this computer I want to use fedora :). I
>>have a LinkSys router and I was wondering what brand of wireless card
>>I should buy and how do I set it up, and anything else I will need to
>>know. Thanks I appreciate your help.
>>

>>Logan
>

> Get a Netgear MA311 if your machine is a PC, or MA411 if a laptop.
> These two are some of the last wireless cards still using the Prism
> chipset.  Fedora will recognize the Prism chipset and will active the
> wireless card using the oronico (sp?) driver.

orinoco and orinoco_cs are the drivers for Prism chipsets.  There are
others (wavelan, etc.)

You can also use ndiswrapper.  It's a wrapper program that uses Win
XP/2K drivers (the .sys and .inf files).  I use it for a couple of
Broadcom 802.11g wireless units.
-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -