External USB enclosure issues.

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jan 10 06:18:13 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 10.01.2004 schrieb Gregory Gulik um 07:01:
> I've been having USB 2.0 enclosure issues lately and I recently replaced
> my motherboard hoping that will resolve them only to have made them worse.
>
> Back in the old days my old motherboard had USB 1.1 ports built in.  It
> was slow but it was pretty much rock solid with Fedora.  I bought a
> USB2.0/1394 combo card and USB 2.0 was much faster but it was flaky now
> and then.

[ snip ]

> Once that happens the USB device is pretty hosed and only a reboot fixes
> USB on the system.
>
> However I take the drive out of the enclosure and put it directly on the
> IDE bus and it works perfectly!!!
>
> Furthermore, if I put the drive back in the enclosure and attach it to
> my Dell 8100 laptop (also running Fedora) with USB 1.1 ports and it
> works flawlessly there too.

USB 2.0 with Linux 2.4 is not what you expect to be. From what I have
read about 2.6 there are massive improvements concerning USB 2.0.

If you can't and won't wait for better USB 2.0 on upcoming Fedora Core 2
on April 5th you can check one of the 2.6 kernels which already some
people have tested.

> Greg Gulik                                 http://www.gulik.org/greg/
> greg @ gulik.org

Alexander