up2date vs. yum

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 10 07:01:17 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 03:49:33PM -0800, Clifford Snow wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 14:44, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> <snip>
> > It turns out that up2date understands the protocol that yum uses.  It
> > can use yum repositories.  The config line format is a little
> > different.
> >

> > So far I have found that the up2date GUI hides a number of errors that
> > it cannot recover from yet.
> You know, I knew that, but your message caused me to look at my sources
> file and add mirrors to the list so if one does work, it switches to a
> secondary.  Thanks

One thing I have noted that neither tool has a concept of
equivalent resources.  All in the list are connected to.

<pie-in-sky>
For example I happen to "know" that these two sites are "equivalent":

 yum uoregon-up  ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/updates/1/i386
 yum stanford-up ftp://linux.stanford.edu/pub/mirrors/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386

However yum and up2date do not understand this concept and will pull
header and other information from all the resources I list as if they
contained little (or nothing) in common.

A real grammar would need to be designed but something like this would
let folks make a list of equivalent mirrors and messages like "Maximum
users of class" type messages will simply be a hint to try another from
a list of equals.

Some groups are obvious to me, but a good grammar
would permit felxibility as things change. Something
sort of like this:

	My-local-cache{ --select_all --error_exit;
		/mnt/iso1/disc1;	# loopback
		/mnt/iso2/disc2; # loopback
		/mnt/iso3/disc3; # loopback
		/mnt/famous-nfs-dir;
		}
	My-base-group{ --select_random 1;
		yum hither;
		ftp andyon;
		}
	My-update-group{ --select_inorder 1 --error_next;
		ftp near;
		ftp far;
		}
	My-favorite-stable-rpms{ --select_all --error_continue;
		yum http://www.some.famous.com/RPMS4LIUNX
		}

</pie-in-sky>
--