NTFS Project: Thank you Richard Russon

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Sat Jan 10 08:42:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:24:34 -0600, Brian Connolly wrote:

> I am writing to publicly and broadly thank Richard Russon of the NTFS
> Project (see http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net).
>
> First, for those who duel boot and are looking for a tool to read the
> files in the NTFS partition, this fits the bill and is easy to install.
> But what I've been most impressed with is how Rich and his colleagues
> quickly package up rpms for Fedora's latest kernels.  It's a labor of
> love and greatly appreciated.

Note that you can rebuild the ntfs module without rebuilding the whole
kernel, using a spec file, a build script and the kernel-source.rpm.

For those in a hurry to upgrade to new kernel.rpms, who need immediate
access to ntfs partitions, this is a great solution.

You need the following files:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/kernel-ntfs.spec
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/build
/path/to/kernel-source-`uname -r`.i386.rpm

Copy all 3 files to the current directory, then type:

./build kernel-ntfs.spec \
kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2140.nptl.i386.rpm \
`uname -p`

The build process took 2m51s on my ageing P3/1Ghz system.

The rpm is built in a subdirectory of the working dir:

rpm -ivh kernel-ntfs-`uname -r`/kernel-ntfs-`uname -r`.`uname -p`.rpm

I'd also like to add my vote of thanks to Richard and all the NTFS project
contributers.

-
K.