Gaim IM + Russian language support

Andrey Subbotin e-ploko at mail.ru
Sat Jan 10 17:10:36 UTC 2004

Hello all.

I use Gaim as my IM client to the ICQ network and would really like to
find a way to send/receive messages in Russian using this client.

Unlike many other apps that used to have problems supporting the
language after RH made their switch to the unicode, Gaim works almost
fine. All the menues, messages and other user interface items are
translated into Russian and are displayed properly out of the box in
FC1. The only problem remains (and sadly renders all the other goodies
useless):

1. I type a message in Russian and then send it to a buddy. It displays
ok in the Gaim dialog window.
2. Then I get a reply from the buddy. And... it's rendered in a
non-cyrillic font.
3. The buddy, on the other side, can't read my messages also.

It seems the problem is kind of trivial, but still I haven't managed to
find a solution to it. It'd be very nice if someone could point me out
how to fix this Gaim's misbehavior.

Thanx in advance.

--
Andrey Subbotin