Using Telnet and getting message - Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Sun Jan 11 01:19:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 01:31, Barry Yu wrote:
> When I am in Windows 2k I could use Telnet to remote host Red Hat 9 and
> have  command  controll over it. But when I tried to use Telnet from the
> same Red Hat 9 machine to Telnet to same W2k machine, I was getting
> Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused. Can someone help? Tks.

Windows doesn't enable the Telnet service by default. You'll need to
enable the Telnet service, then start it up. Also, if you're using the
Internet Connection Firewall, sure any incoming traffic targeted to port
23 is allowed.

Also, as a security measure, I don't recommend you using telnet at all.
Either when connecting to RHL9 or W2K, you're sending your username and
password in clear text (i.e., not cyphered) where it can be easily
captured. I would use a more secure remote access service, like SSH, or
a Kerberized telnet client and server (which Windows lacks).