how do I install the new KDE beta?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Sun Jan 11 21:00:36 UTC 2004

I downloaded the RPMs for Fedora for the KDE 3.2 beta from download.kde.org
and I tried to follow the instructions, but there are no install instructions
given with the files and the generic ones on the KDE web site don't make
sense.

They say you must install in this order:

kdesupport.arch.rpm
kdelibs.arch.rpm
kdebase.arch.rpm

However, the beta does NOT contain any kdesupport RPM (although it does
contain the second and third RPMs). Skipping the firstone and trying to start
with kdelibs causes RPM to tell me that I must have QT 3.2 installed first.
Trying to install the QT RPM that is available generates this paradox:

[root at localhost trevor]# rpm -Uvh qt-3.2.3-0.2.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        /usr/lib/qt-3.1 is needed by (installed) redhat-artwork-0.88-1
[root at localhost trevor]# rpm -Uvh redhat-artwork-0.88-2.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        /usr/lib/qt-3.2 is needed by redhat-artwork-0.88-2

You see, the old redhat artwork NEEDS the old QT so I can't upgrade to the new
QT while the old artwork is installed. But the new artwork needs the new QT
so I can't install the new artwork until I install the new QT.  Neither will
install before the other.

Any help? Where should I REALLY start? Is there any "single" install package?
Or must I really install each individual package separately? And if so, where
is the missing package that I am told I must install FIRST?