DLink DWL-520 Problems

Miles Phillips miles at mlphillips.com
Sun Jan 11 21:44:27 UTC 2004

Hello all,
First of all I'm new to this list and if I am in the wrong spot I apologize
in advance.  I just installed Fedora on a couple computers, and all worked
well except...  I just purchased without doing research(bad me) a dlink
DWL-520 PCI wireless ethernet card.  Fedora detects the card as Prism 2.5
Wavelan chipset.  When I try to activate the connection from devices, I get
the message "orinoco_pci device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying
initialization."

If I go in under the hardware tab and click edit, it chooses irq 11 which I
believe is correct, then I hit ok and then I get:
Command failed: /sbin/modprobe orinco_pci irq=11

Output:
Warning: ignoring irq=11, no such parameter in this module
Warning: ignoring irq=11, no such parameter in this module
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115/nptlsmp/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinco_pci.o:
init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115/nptlsmp/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinco_pci.0:
insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptlsmp/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci.o
failed
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115/nptlsmp/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinco_pci.0:
insmod orinco_pci failedHint: insmod errors can be caued by incorrect module
parameters, including invalid IO or IRQparameters.
You may findout more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

If anyone has had any experience, or has any suggestions for me on this it
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Miles