Is qtparted working on FC1?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jan 11 22:39:40 UTC 2004

Am So, den 11.01.2004 schrieb Michael Schwendt um 22:48:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:05:30 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > > Well, ok then. However i do need something to resize and move
> > > partitions. Any advice?
> >
> > Sorry, I did not mean it will not work properly. I just wanted to
> > mention, that the RPM 'might' not fit the quality standards which
> > fedora.us claims for stables RPMS through their repository.
>
> Well, the software is under development and not considered stable. The
> fedora.us package also includes a fix (or two), one for the proper
> detection of partitions and their occupied space. To the best of my
> knowledge, the author has neither confirmed nor accepted the patch.  He
> has turned silent after he had promised to look into it and a bug in his
> code.

Ok, bad state.

> > Even if there is something not perfect with the RPM, qtparted should
> > work properly though.
>
> No. That's what the "testing" repository is for. If code maturity is
> uncertain and the software needs [much] more testing from more users, it's
> put into "testing". If early reviewers find the software has serious flaws
> and crashes under certain circumstances, for instance, it can be published
> into "unstable" nevertheless.

Hi Michael, thank you for your correction. It was not clear to me that
packages in testing could be in such a bad state. I thought there might
be just failures with the packaging as files missing or in wrong
directory or install failures under certain circumstances. But if there
are patches applied too which might be of undefined state i would rather
recommend not to use such a package on a system with real data. With
qtparted in special as it is able to destroy even all content on a disk.
Though it is in general a good advice to have always a backup before
resizing a partition with data on it.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany