how do I install the new KDE beta?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Mon Jan 12 02:35:55 UTC 2004

On Sunday 11 January 2004 22:07, Simon Perreault wrote:
> The web site you're talking about gives instructions for *source*
> installation, not RPMs.

I'm not convinced you are correct. The web page is:

http://www.kde.org/documentation/userguide/linux-installing-rpms.html

This is a page that indicates it is talking about RPMs, not source RPMs. I
could be wrong (very new at this) but I suspect it would say SRPMs if it
meant installing/compiling source code. No?

Also, there is a section not much later called "Using Source Compilation to
Install on Top of Other Systems" which says "If your Linux distribution did
not come with an RPM or DEB archive format, or you are not using Linux at
all, you must compile KDE on your own." This seems to clearly indicate that
you use the instructions at the URL above to install the *binary* RPM, but if
there is no binary RPM (or DEB), then you must compile from source.

So the instructions I mentioned appear to apply to what I'm trying to do. They
just don't work because they refer to a non-existent file in this case.

I'm open to correction.