Mounting digital camera, /etc/fstab joke ?

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Mon Jan 12 03:06:29 UTC 2004

Em Dom, 2004-01-11 às 21:36, Tammy Fox escreveu:

> > Perfect! Is there a way we can contribute by adding entries to this? I
> > think this would GREATLY improve usability for non-geek users.
> > Hum... a database for this like alsa does with soundboard...

> This is the way I mounted on CompactFlash card in a USB reader:
> I created a symlink from /dev/sda1 to /dev/flash.
> I created the directory /mnt/flash.
> I added the following to /etc/fstab:
> /dev/flash              /mnt/flash              auto    defaults,owner        0 0

This way is simple - I got my one working in a similar way.

> Then I modified /etc/security/console.perms (the line that has a minus
> in front of it was changed to the line with a plus in front of it):
> - <flash>=/mnt/flash*
> + <flash>=/mnt/flash* /dev/flash*
> - <console>  0600 <flash>      0600 root
> + <console>  0600 <flash>      0600 root.disk
> Modifying the second file gives the first person who logs into the
> console ownership of the device. You have to log out and log back in
> for it to take effect.

"user" at fstab does this also, right?

> Then, if you are using GNOME, plug in your USB device with the card,
> right-click on the desktop, and select Disks -> flash. This will mount
> the device. I'm sure KDE probably has something similar. Or, you can
> (...)

> I was able to configure devlabel to automount it, but the only problem
> was that it ignored /etc/security/console.perms so it was mounted by
> root, not by me. Thus, it was useless because I couldn't delete files
> from it. I'm filing a bug on it.

Which would be ideal. Imagine a windoze user plugging its camera on
first time he/she uses fedora, and it appears automatically on his/her
desktop? Would be more practical than xp, where sometimes you have to
crawl through "my computer"...

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group