machine stops on booting

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon Jan 12 16:12:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 10:27, Tanner P. Forry wrote:
> it's the i586 kernel, which is the correct one for the portege.  i
> tried mkinitrd again since it was originally a i686 kernel, but it
> still stops.

Did you install the OS on an i686 and move the hard disk to the i586
machine?  (I have to do this with my Toshiba Portege, also.)  If so,
more than the kernel may need to be replaced to run on the i586.  glibc
is usually CPU-specific.  Maybe a few other packages.  You can look on
the CDs to see what else may need to be replaced.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/