2.6.1 problems...help

prata at ghostlike.homelinux.org prata at ghostlike.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 12 20:46:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:01:37AM +0530, Jeetendra Mirchandani penned with great insight:

> i compiled the 2.6.1 kernel today.....
> the problems...
>
> - could not get the network working
> the o/p of inid.d/network restart
>
> Shutting down loopback interface:  ^[[60G[  ^[[0;32mOK^[[0;39m  ]^M
> Setting network parameters:  ^[[60G[  ^[[0;32mOK^[[0;39m  ]^M
> Bringing up loopback interface:  ^[[60G[  ^[[0;32mOK^[[0;39m  ]^M
> Bringing up interface eth1:  8139too device eth1 does not seem to be
> present, delaying initialization.
> ^[[60G[^[[0;31mFAILED^[[0;39m]^M

I have received this error when the module is not properly loaded for the ethernet card. Oddly enough, it only occurred (to the best of my recollection) when I had not assigned an ip address to the ethernet card in question. I honestly believe that has nothing to do with it, but rather is simply a module issue.

If you stick a line in /etc/init.d/network (as a test only) that is as follows:
/sbin/modprobe "module name"

Then your card should come up without a problem. Unless you compiled the wrong modules for the card you're having problems with. In which case you may want to be sure that you are indeed loadin' the correct module, and that is has in fact been compiled as a module.

HTH
Alex

--
If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are. --Spoken in Zen