$HOSTTYPE and related topics.

Matt H. helios82 at optushome.com.au
Tue Jan 13 01:57:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:04:33 -0300, Alexandre Strube wrote:

> Take a look at which kernel version you're using...

I currently have kernel 2.4.22-1.2140.nptl. Do you mean what architecture
it was compiled for? In that case, "athlon". That's why I thought
$HOSTTYPE and $MACHTYPE should reflect this.

 On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:09:31 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> What you see on you Athlon system is the situation and ok. Fedora Core 1
> is still i386 based, only glibc may vary like on your's which is i686,
> and the kernel is CPU dependent compiled. You see last by using "uname
> -a".

So it's common to use the generic "i386" branding even with today's
generation processors and architecture?

> What do you expect by having a i686 based architecture compile? You
> might only gain just a few percentages of speed, if though.

If I was to recompile my kernel for "i686" or "athlon", this would not be
beneficial to system performance and efficiencies?

> As far as I see at the rpm macros, Fedora is using prelinking, which
> normally brings you most performance gains using different applications.

This prelinking you mentioned is interesting. I read the howto you linked
to and would like to investigate more with it. Can you tell me if it is
done internally or must I manually enter `/uss/sbin/prelink -afmR` in
order to use this feature?

--
Matt