Fedora command line tools

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Tue Jan 13 15:39:14 UTC 2004

From: "Andrea" <linux at andac.it>
> yes, I tried and I'm sure that I've forgot to install some rpm packages
but
> I don't remember.
>
> Andrea
>
> Benjamin J. Weiss writes:
>
> > From: "Andrea" <linux at andac.it>
> >> I installed my Fedora C1 but I don't have command line like 'service',
> >> 'ifconfig', 'locate' and 'Network Neighborhood' on the desktop ... what
do
> >> need to install?
> >
> > Andrea,
> >
> > service and ifconfig require root access to use.  Have you tried doing
an
> > 'su -' without the quotes, and then trying them?

Andrea,

1) Please put your replies at the bottom of the post.  It makes it easier to
read in the archives.

2) I got the following results on my FC1 test box:
# rpm -qf /sbin/service
initscripts-7.42.2-1

#rpm -qf /sbin/ifconfig
net-tools-1.60-20.1

You should try both of the following:

$ rpm -qa | grep initscripts
$ rpm -qa | grep net-tools

and see if they're installed.  If not, then try:

yum install initscripts
yum install net-tools

I'm afraid I don't know how to help you with the Network Neighborhood.
Sorry.

HTH,

Ben