Non FOSS and Fedora

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Tue Jan 13 20:55:46 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Sturla Holm Hansen
Sent: 1/13/2004 1:43:57 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: Non FOSS and Fedora

> Of course I helped him solve the problem, anyone thinking I shouldn't
> have done so because mp3 is a non-FOSS format is in my
> not-at-all-humble-oppinion completely off track!
> Of course we should advocate using FOSS-software where it's possible and
> advisable, but come on!
>
> Sturla

Not to mention all those embedded toys out there that only support MP3s. My wife got an MP3 player so she could have something to listen to while she jogged and trained and lost weight. What am I supposed to tell her? "Sorry honey, we only use OGG in this house. You're going to have to hum to yourself." There's a certain point at which practicality trumps politics. Especially when we're not talking life or death here. We're talking about music encoding. I don't think the fate of the world rests on it. I could be wrong.

Preston