Top or bottom.... matters less than some think.

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 13 21:15:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:01:55AM +0000, Andy Wallace wrote:

> > However, on lists like this almost,
> > 	no one is on a 300 baud or slower modem,
> >

> It takes a long time to download a day's worth of messages on a 56k
> modem on this list. Luckily I've just got broadband :-)

There is a big difference between downloading a day's worth of messages
and reading them on an X-term/gnome-terminal at an effective baud rate
in excess of +38.4K and reading the messages on a free standing
terminal connected at 300 baud.

It turns out that emacs in a gnome-terminal can emulate 300 baud.
	stty speed 300
	emacs -t `tty`

Try to edit a largish text file or scroll through it.  Try setting up
a spare system and connect it via a serial line at 300 baud
(telnet/kermit/gkermit).  Then try serial line IP at various baud
rates.

The serial line IP (slip) trick should be used for debugging X
applications.  It is possible to see all the redundant redrawing and
other band width and rendering abuses that libraries and applications
generate.

Broadband bandwidth is nice but I find that the "always on" part is
more important to me than pure band width.  I hate to give up my phone
for hours on end but for 80% of what I need 56K is enough.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net