Two questions about FC1 kernel upgrades

Scott Burns scott at mirrabooka.com
Wed Jan 14 05:33:26 UTC 2004

Daniel Robitaille wrote:

>1) Since I installed FC1 just before Christmas, I have had to do 4
>kernel upgrades in 3 weeks.  Is that an anomalous period, or it's
>always going to be like that in the Fedora world?  I don't remember so many
>kernel updates in a short time like this with RHL8/9. Or I'm getting
>what I'm paying for? :)
>
> Dec 24 14:48 vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl
> Jan  6 17:50 vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2138.nptl
> Jan  7 23:19 vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2140.nptl
> Jan 13 20:40 vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl

This is a major problem for me.  I'm connected using a 33k6 modem from
home.  Two kernels and a glibc inside a week is killing me.  To add
insult to injury I spent all my spare time last night recompiling my
kernel and getting the NVidia driver to work.  I woke up this morning to
find 2149 was out.  With a 5 month old son, losing that spare time hurt.

I know many people are against the idea of patches, but could we at
least have a patch set for the kernel source?  For those of us who roll
their own, it'd reduce the download from 40 odd Meg down to a matter of
kilobytes.  That's gotta take the strain off of a few servers...

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899