a question about RedHat 9.0 upgrade

Wed Jan 14 14:23:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 08:14, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 January 2004 11:53, Jordi Gil wrote:
> > I have a webserver, with BBDD mail server and list manager which can't
> > be offline. I was wondering of upgrade to Fedora Core 1 but I'm not sure
> > if this is an stable version of linux,
>
> It's just as stable or unstable as RH-9.
> Think of it as RH-10, and you won't be far wrong.

Not quite.  The Fedora update cycle is "4-6 months" with update lifetime
"2-3 months after next release" versus "12-18 months" and "At least 5
years" for RHEL according to http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html.

This is MUCH more dynamic than any past Red Hat release/update schedule,
and unlike RH-9 or RHm.n you do not have any option to purchase Red Hat
support.  WBEL, Tao, or other RHEL-derived community-supported distros
have the same short-coming in support, but at least will be tracking a
more stable/supported base.

Phil Schaffner