(no subject) [GRUB boot problems]

Paolo paolo at gabubbi.it
Wed Jan 14 15:22:12 UTC 2004

Phil Schaffner said:
> On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 10:53, Paolo wrote:
>> Phil Schaffner said:
>> > On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 03:42, Paolo wrote:
>> >Snip<
>> >
>> > Have seen a number of cases where the BIOS disk mapping does not match
>> > what the running system sees.  This seem to happen particularly with
>> > RAID controllers and/or SCSI controllers mixed with IDE.  Try making a
>> > grub boot floppy on a working system and doing a "find /grub/stage1"
>> (or
>> > "find /boot/grub/stage1" if you do not have a /boot partition) and
>> find
>> > out what grub sees as (hdM) and (hdM,N) where M=[disk 0, 1, etc.] and
>> > N=[partition 0, 1, ...].  You should be able to boot the system from
>> the
>> > floppy once you figure it out.
>>
>> I'm sorry but I don't think I understand what you mean here.
>> I can boot the machine with the fedora cd,
>> linux rescue
>> and then
>> chroot /mnt/sysimage
>>
>> So I can enter in the /grub partition and... ?
>> Do you want me to open the stage1 file ?
>
> Looks like quite a lot went on in this thread while I was off doing what
> they pay me for :-) but still no resolution.
>
>>From "info grub":
> Creating a GRUB boot floppy
> ===========================
>
>    To create a GRUB boot floppy, you need to take the files `stage1'
> and `stage2' from the image directory, and write them to the first and
> the second block of the floppy disk, respectively.
>
>    *Caution:* This procedure will destroy any data currently stored on
> the floppy.
>
>    On a UNIX-like operating system, that is done with the following
> commands:
>
>      # cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc
>      # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
>      1+0 records in
>      1+0 records out
>      # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
>      153+1 records in
>      153+1 records out
>      #
>
>    The device file name may be different. Consult the manual for your
> OS.
>
> I can also e-mail you directly with a compressed grub floppy image,
> and/or a script to create a grub floppy with menu support, if it would
> help.

Phil,
I tried to boot the machine with a boot disk (mkbootdisk kernel-version)
but it failed to boot.
Same problem with the bootdisk I made during the Fedora installation.

The error message is:
boot failed: please change disk and press a key to continue.

It appears aftwer a few seconds the kernel start to boot.

Feel free to mail me if you need more information.

Thanks a lot. Really.

Ciao

--
                    Paolo C.