Samba SWAT and RH firewall

Robert D. Rose rdrose at rdrose.com
Wed Jan 14 17:32:03 UTC 2004

Dear Frank,

fl> Question is there a FAQ about setting up SWAT?
fl> I think I'm having RH firewall problems. I get connection refused
fl> when trying to access localhost:901. I've added the service (TCP/901) a
fl> and configured xinetd and restarted. I've added port 901 to iptables and
fl> restarted it too. Still not showing anything listening on port 901.

Your  problem  is  probably not with your IPTABLES. Since SWAT happens
through  the  loopback  adapter,  you  don't  (generally) need to make
special  provision for it. Most likely you're having an XINETD problem
since nothing seems to be listening. Fedora comes configured with SWAT
disabled.

(1) look in /etc/xinetd.d for a file named "swat"

(2) Original probably contains:

# default: off
#              to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
#              connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
        port            = 901
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        only_from       = 127.0.0.1
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/swat
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable         = yes
}

(3) the line "disable = yes" is your trouble.  Change "yes" to "no"

(4) force XINETD to reconfigure with a command like:

    kill -s SIGHUP <XINETD's ProcID>

Hope This Helps,
Bob Rose