Strange behaviour in iptables

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Jan 14 18:47:11 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 14.01.2004 schrieb Alexandre Strube um 13:51:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a fedora machine acting as NAT router between a small network and
> a adsl connection. Iptables is managing this. This is working for some
> time (redhat 8 -> redhat 9 -> fc1) I cannot even remember WHERE in init
> scripts this is configured.
>
> The booting sequence is:
>
> raises eth0
> raises ppp0 (it auto-connects, get ip, and so on)
> web connection (my isp requires we access a web page for authentication
> - I have a small script that automates this)
> Dynamic ip.
>

> For some days now (I don't know what was the exact update, as I don't
> rebbot very often - this machine keeps up for weeks), but now, when I
> reboot, iptables doesn't do NAT anymore. The only way to get it working
> is doing a 'service iptables restart' and everything works again, which
> make me sure that iptables' nat config is ok.
>
> Can someone help me with this? This is preety annoying on these times of
> 2.4 -> 2.6 transition (when I reboot quite often)
>
> By the way, this behaviour is with 2.4.22.2140.

For such things a look into the syslog file /var/log/messages is a good
start.

You should first find out where exactly your NAT is set up. I guess it
is configured in /etc/sysconfig/iptables as a service restart of
iptables is successful.

Do you see iptables service start failing on bootup? You need to boot
with details at least or better without rhgb.

Maybe the needed iptables kernel modules are not loaded ok at boot time.
All just guesses as there is no self investigation information in your
mail.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany