How do I know when a reboot is required?

dalen dalen at czexan.net
Wed Jan 14 20:24:30 UTC 2004

JesterDev wrote:

> Normally I only reboot about every 2-3 weeks no matter what or how many

As others have mentioned, it is probably good to reboot a few times a
year to check for hardware/software/other problems.  I have seen drives
with bearings going out that will run fine until they stop spinning from
a cold boot.  That being said, I have seen systems go for a long time.
I had Redhat 5.2 on an old Compaq Deskpro run for about a year.  I have
another 2P workstation running seti and some web stuff as follows...

[root at guineapen root]# date
Wed Jan 14 14:19:27 CST 2004
[root at guineapen root]# uptime
   2:19pm  up 421 days, 18:30,  2 users,  load average: 2.00, 2.00, 2.00
[root at guineapen root]#