Export

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Jan 15 01:45:14 UTC 2004

>>This is not true - on every rehat system since 8.0 I've been doing this.
>>No machine had reduced funtionality because of it. In fact, the opposite
>>happened. Try for yourselves, then tell me.

Interestingly, this explains a strange error I started seeing around
RedHat 8.0 finally. It would happen when I'd try to do remote
administration (for example 'sudo reboot' on a remote system).

Since there's now some stupid 'userland' version of reboot in
/usr/bin/reboot that tries to be all fancy, and because I kept /usr/bin
before /sbin in my PATH, I've been running this new version by mistake,
leading to problems like the following:

[bevan at wallace ~]> sudo reboot

If I make sure that /sbin comes -first- in my path, I can go back to
running 'sudo command' like always.

[bevan at wallace ~]> sudo /sbin/reboot
Broadcast message from root (pts/0) (Wed Jan 14 17:36:35 2004):
The system is going down for reboot NOW!

I can see how it's supposed to make those 'You must be root' commands
friendlier for a general desktop user in their console Xsession, but it
messed things up a bit for us old command-line remote administrators.

I very much prefer distributing root-access through sudo, rather than
distributing the root password.