cron goes mad?

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Thu Jan 15 17:44:15 UTC 2004

Dave Alden wrote:

>Oops, no.  I've now modified my /etc/init.d/crond to add:
>
>ulimit -S -c unlimited
>
>after source /etc/init.d/functions -- we'll see what that does...

You may want to change the ulimit line in /etc/profile similarly.  If it
is a cron job which is dumping and not crond itself, then the core dump
won't happen if the cron job is a shell script which sources
/etc/profile.  I'm going to try this myself.

On another subject, if you want to find all core files I think you'd
have to search on the regexp 'core\.[0-9]+$'.  I used this pattern with
'sudo locate -r' and found only a couple.  Of course if they were in
/tmp they got flushed by recent reboots.