Export

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Jan 15 18:07:25 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> Now that was a machine I SSH'ed into with X-Forwarding,
> doesn't have X installed locally.  So I tried on my laptop (with X):

Do both systems have X installed? It looks like either one -not- having
X will suppress consolehelper's graphical form. If you just run
/usr/bin/up2date as yourself, what happens then (I get a popup window)?

> [whooper at butters whooper]$ sudo up2date
> <forward, forward, checking, no updates, blah blah>
> [whooper at butters whooper]$

That looks pretty reasonable.
[bevan at wallace ~]> sudo /usr/bin/up2date
Password:

> Maybe you have old versions of config files left over?

These were all clean installs, although I do go back and replace some
config files to make the system play properly in the environment.
The relevant-ish are:
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/ldap.conf
/etc/pam.d/system-auth
/etc/sysconfig/authconfig
/etc/ssh/sshd_config

It's got my curiosity now... I want to know why our systems seemingly
behave differently.