Apache port question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Jan 16 01:56:54 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 16.01.2004 schrieb Gerry Doris um 02:40:
> I'm confused about apache ports.  For instance, if I wanted to connect
> to webmin with SSL enabled then I am supposed to use the following:
>
> https://webmin_server:10000
>
> What exactly does this mean?  I thought that https automatically used
> port 443.  If that's correct then how does apache end up using port
> 10000?

Standard port for HTTPS is 443, that's true. See "grep 443
/etc/services". But you could define any other port if you wish. You
could also define a different port than 80 for HTTP. But then you always
have to access the site using HTTPS://URI:443 or HTTP://URI:80

Annotation to webmin: it does come with an own HTTP/HTTPS service, both
by default configured to listen on port 10000.

> Also, what ports would need to be open for this to work through a
> firewall...both 443 and 10000?

For webmin only you need to open just port 10000, inbound and outbound.

> Gerry Doris <gdoris at rogers.com>

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany