How to turn off the beep

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 16 02:15:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 04:09:55PM -0600, prata at ghostlike.homelinux.org wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:44:20PM -0600, Jim Yu penned with great insight:

> > laptop. In certain situations, e.g. when I hit the backspace key at the
> > beginning of a command line, it generates a very annoying beep....
>
> Check in /etc/inputrc there is a line such as this at the beginning:
>
> # do not bell on tab-completion
> #set bell-style none

Note that changes to /etc/inputrc are global and almost always
problematic for other users (some might say wrong).  It is better to
build a .inputrc file in your home directory ($HOME/.inputrc).

Note that depending on your shell /etc/profile or /etc/csh.login test
for and will take advantage of a .inputrc file in your home directory.
The environment variable $INPUTRC is set and programs that pay
attention to it will do the right thing.

I would recommend:
	cp /etc/inputrc $HOME/.inputrc
Then edit your own .inputrc file as Prata indicated.

In todays personal linux box context it does not matter which you
edit.  There is a caution /etc/* files are fair game for OS updates
and $HOME files are not updated by package installs.  It is also
possible to mess up input stuff.  It is nice to simply rename a busted
config file (mv $HOME/.inputrc $HOME/.inputrc-need2fix) log out
logback in and fix it.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net