Consolehelper and sudo (was Re: Export)

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 16 03:01:27 UTC 2004

William Hooper said:

> Bevan C. Bennett said:
>> William Hooper wrote:
>>> Now that was a machine I SSH'ed into with X-Forwarding,
>>> doesn't have X installed locally.  So I tried on my laptop (with X):
>>
>> Do both systems have X installed? It looks like either one -not- having
>> X will suppress consolehelper's graphical form. If you just run
>> /usr/bin/up2date as yourself, what happens then (I get a popup window)?
>
> In the SSH case, no.  Only one has X installed.  In the second case
> (below) I'm doing it on a local machine with X.  Using SSH I get a text
> prompt, GUI on local.  I'll see what I can do about sneaking a laptop out
> of work tonight, that way I can try it on two machines w/X.

OK here goes:
Two Fedora Core 1 machines, both with X and using sudo (that's
important)... I get the same error as you:

[whooper at laptop whooper]$ sudo up2date
Password:
The application 'up2date' lost its connection to the display localhost:10.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

BUT... it does work using su, instead:

[whooper at laptop whooper]$ su -c up2date

So... I don't know what we're chasing.  Using sudo on xterm works from the
SSH connection.  Using sudo and consolehelper works locally.  I would
suggest filing a bug against userhelper.
--
William Hooper