Kpackage missing from Kdeadmin - Why, and howto rectify

Jeffrey Stephens jsteve17 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jan 16 04:00:31 UTC 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 20:22, Michael Kearey wrote:
> ne... wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Great, so here is what I suggest. Get the kdeadmin source from kde.org
> > and patch it so that it works with the version of rpm that Fedora
> > uses. Compile and make sure it works. Next grab the kdeadmin srpm that
> > was used to build the kdeadmin rpm and do a diff against that. Add
> > that diff to the srpm while making changes to the various scripts in
> > the srpm. Rebuild and test. If it works, offer it up for ppl to use.
> > I am sure this will be something that part of the community would love
> > to use.
> >
> > N.Emile...
>
> That sounds like a really long way around. Consider that the principle
> of rpms right from the very beginning is to use pristine sources, it
> is reasonable to expect that the src.rpm for kdeadmin contains all the
> sources you need for kpackage.

   The easiest way to correct Redhat's omission is simply to uninstall their
Kdeadmin RPM and build Kdeadmin from source (not the source RPM as it
will simply rebuilt the original i386 RPM which, of course, does NOT contain
Kpackage).  As it happens, Kdeadmin is a standalone app that has nothing
that depends on it, so it is easy and straightforward to delete it.  Rebuild
from source with "--prefix=usr" and you are in business.