Can't install from CD after initial install - Is this in Bugzilla?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Fri Jan 16 16:36:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 17:05, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> > Now sure, Yum works great. Sure yum is easier. But there are some things you wouldn't want to install via yum (OpenOffice, for example) if you could help it. And yet this remains unfixed.
>
> Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want to use yum to install
> OpenOffice? That's exactly the sort of big, complicated, potentially
> fraught with odd dependencies sort of package that I -do- want to ues
> yum for.

Well, first of all the CD handles dependencies as well when you install
something like that. Secondly, some people in this planet (I know this
is going to be hard to believe, so hold on to your chair) don't have
broadband. For those people it would be nice to be able to go back to
the CD as much as possible. This isn't MY problem, but could affect
others who are trying Fedora, but don't have broadband.

Or maybe they're on the road with a laptop and want to install something
and can't because they don't have Internet access.

> Is the problem that there isn't a convienient way to know which CD of a
> CD set your package is hiding on when using something that isn't the
> add/remove widget?

Not really. It's more that that the widget doesn't work.

> Is the problem that the Add/Remove programs widget only seems to use the
> CD set as a possible source?

No idea. All I know is when I've tried before to install something like
this it's asked for a CD. I pop the CD in and then it errors out.

Preston