Nautilus desktop icons (Was: Gnome desktop icons

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sat Jan 17 20:24:06 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 14:46, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> I want the filesystems mounted. I just don't want icons for them on my
> desktop. When I want to get to files on the partions, I can do so
> through the filemanager.

You always want the filesystems mounted but you don't want to see them
on the desktop?  If I understand that then add the auto option and
remove any noauto, user and owner options from those filesystems in
/etc/fstab.  Run "killall nautilus" after you edit /etc/fstab to reload
the desktop.

Here are some examples from my /etc/fstab:
# These entries do not show on my desktop and are always mounted:
LABEL=/         /                     ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/md1        /home                 ext3    defaults        1 2

# These entries do show on my desktop and can be mounted/umounted by me:
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom            auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/cdrom1     /mnt/cdrom1           auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

> You did give me one big clue. The desktop is Nautilus rather than Gnome
> (duh!). I found a set of xml files under the .nautilus/metafiles
> directory that seem to reference the desktop icons.

Those are saved views, thumbnails, etc.  Every time you move an icon in
a folder set to Arrangement->Manually the corresponding XML file in
~/.nautilus/metafiles is modified to reflect the new position.  (Failing
reason, manually hack the desktop's XML file to move the icon off
screen? Ugh.)

When you view a folder full of photos, fonts, movies, etc a PNG
thumbnail will be created for each file in ~/.nautilus/metafiles.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/