ATI Radeon Pro, X11, system lockup

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Sun Jan 18 18:05:01 UTC 2004

I've checked the archives, and not found anything useful (just two hits
searching on "Radeon 9600 Pro"), so if this has been covered before I
apologise.

I have the above-mentioned card, and am having a devil of a time getting
it to work properly.  When selecting the driver that comes with FC1 for
Radeon 9600 Pro, my system locks up hard during the login process.
Normally I'm able to enter username/password, but it freezes before
getting the desktop.  If I try to specifically select a desktop
environment (Gnome, KDE), I get a lockup in that dialog itself.

As I had done a number of things immediately before this first happened,
I did not immediately realise that it was the video driver itself which
had done this.  A fortunately-timed kudzu run somehow removed the Radeon
driver and reinstalled the generic VESA, at which point things worked
again.

The relevant portions of the /etc/X11/XF86Config file follow:

	Section "Device"
		Identifier  "Videocard0"
		Driver      "vesa"
		VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
		BoardName   "VESA driver (generic)"
	EndSection

	#Section "Device"
	#	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	#	Driver      "radeon"
	#	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
	#	BoardName   "ATI Radeon 9600 Pro"
	#EndSection

As you can see, I commented out the offending portion but kept it in for
historical purposes.

The ATI website has a driver for this board, one for each of the
following versions of XFree86: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3.  It appears I am using
4.3, so I downloaded the corresponding RPM.  Attempting to install the
RPM, however, gives the following error:
	rpm -Uvh fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm
	Preparing...  ########################################### [100%]
        file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of
		fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0 conflicts with file from package
		XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-42

I was not able to find anything on their website to address this issue.
I've heard somewhere that I shouldn't bother with the ATI-supplied
drivers in any event, so perhaps I'm not too heartbroken.  However,
checking up on the above I don't understand the conflict; yum tells me
that my XFree86-Mesa-libGL is both installed and the latest version.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this, and/or pointers to where I might
look?  I'd hate to think that I need to boot into Windows to get better
video playback, etc, not to mention the other features this card
supports.

Thanks for your time,
 -Don