OpenLDAP and file limits

Bevan Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Sun Jan 18 21:19:32 UTC 2004

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

> So what state are they in and do all the connections make sense?
> netstat -atnp |grep slapd

It looks like I've got 400 ESTABLISHED connections this fine Sunday
afternoon.

59 systems with one
6 with two
4 with three
4 with four
2 with five
1 with six
1 with nine
2 with thirteen
and one each with 17, 21, 34, 56, 58, and 62

I decided to look a little closer at the top offenders
62 connections: RH8.0 desktop with the user still logged in. Stop and
restart nscd and those dropped to 4.
58 connections: ditto in all respects
56: ditto again, but restarting nscd left around 20 trapped in CLOSE_WAIT
34: This system is the current IMAP server and all the conenctions look
legit (if you accept that every authenticated imap and smtp process is
supposed to hold an LDAP connection open for as long as it exists)
21: another RH8.0 desktop
17: and another
The thirteens were also RH8.0 desktops...

None of my older (7.2) or newer (FC1) desktops were in this state,
despite people leaving themselves logged in rather equally across
platforms.  Step next is to turn all of those RH8.0 desktops into FC1.

Oh, and for the record on how our open files are doing:
[bevan at urd ~]> cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
932     305     209708

...and no 'Too many open files' disaster again... yet.