Kpackage missing from Kdeadmin - Why, and howto rectify

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano_brunetti at idg.it
Mon Jan 19 09:03:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 18:39, Michael Kearey wrote:
> Jeffrey Stephens wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 January 2004 20:22, Michael Kearey wrote:
> <snip>
> >>
> >> That sounds like a really long way around. Consider that the
> >> principle of rpms right from the very beginning is to use
> >> pristine sources, it is reasonable to expect that the src.rpm for
> >> kdeadmin contains all the sources you need for kpackage.
> >
> > The easiest way to correct Redhat's omission is simply to uninstall
> > their Kdeadmin RPM and build Kdeadmin from source (not the source
> > RPM as it will simply rebuilt the original i386 RPM which, of
> > course, does NOT contain Kpackage).
>
> The  kdeadmin-3.1.4-1.src.rpm DOES contain kpackage. However, the spec
> file in kdeadmin-3.1.4-1.src.rpm excludes kpackage from the build. -
> In other words,  kpackage has NOT been removed from original source,
> it just is not built when the binary rpm is made from src.rpm.
> [snip]
> BTW, I have managed to hack the spec file so that kpackage does get
> built, from the kdeadmin-3.1.4-1.src.rpm file. (ie no need to download
> source from kde ...).

Would you tell me what modifications you had to make?

As i wrote in a previous post, i wasn't able to compile simply changing
the spec file with a %define kpackage=1. I compiled from source, but
kpackage later ran into several errors and it was pretty useless: it
would open but wouldn't perform any real operation with rpms.

E.