fstab mount solved

Ben Davis jamin.davis at mail.ee
Mon Jan 19 16:26:47 UTC 2004

Om 15:24+1000, Today scott at mirrabooka.com [SB] schreef...

> Justin P. Steiger wrote:
> >//192.168.0.1/shared    /mnt/server             smbfs
> >rw,username=username,password=xXxxxXx 0 0
>     I've never been quite able to put a valid password into my fstab -
> does anyone else do this, and if so, what added security do you use?

I use credentials=~/.netcred chown'ed 0600 to root.root. .netcred
contains:

username=xxxx
password=xxxx

so I have an fstab line like

//server/share$ /mnt/t1 smbfs rw,credentials=~/.netcred 0 0

since the /etc/fstab is (usually) readble by world, this would not be a
good place for putting passwords! (note to OP). And I hide any shares on
MS boxes with $ at the end.. superficial security, but stops other
winclients seeing shares they shouldn't.

Groetjes....j