help-kernel panic no init found

Avi Aumick avi at m-issues.org
Mon Jan 19 19:53:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Mo, den 19.01.2004 schrieb Avi Aumick um 19:54:
> > I just installed fedora. I was forced to do a hard reboot since for some
> > reason the computer hung up (might have a memory problem). I received the
> > following message:
> >
> > kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
> >
> > How do I pass the "init="? I did try editing the command line when grub
> > started by adding "init=1" but it did not work. Any suggestions??
> >
> > Thanks for you  help.
> >
> > Avram
>
> Did the hangup occur during install process? Then your system is not
> proper installed and you need a new install run.
>
> If you have a memory problem then maybe the system on your harddrive is
> damaged. You can try to boot with the kernel parameter "init=/bin/sh"
> and see if that works. If not, you are faster with a reinstall.
>
> Alexander

The system installed ok and even ran. It happened when I was restarting
autofs after modifying the config files. The autofs hungup. So I pushed
the reset. That is when it happened.

I did try booting with the param "init=/bin/sh" nothing really changed. I
did notice just before the message this message:

pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed:2

I am hoping to not have to reinstall. But if I have to, can I just do the
upgrade option so I don't lose the configuration (I don't want to
reconfigure)?

Thanks,
Avram