Kpackage missing from Kdeadmin - Why, and howto rectify

Jeffrey Stephens jsteve17 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 20 07:51:30 UTC 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 19:33, Michael Kearey wrote:
> Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

> I agree. I looked over it some more, and it does help reveal deps
> nicely. Still for an ordinary user, I cannot see kpackage (as it is
> right now) fitting in particularly well with Fedora as a primary
> package managing tool...

  Depends on what you mean by an "ordinary user."  I find Kpackage
indispensable.  Here are some reasons:

	1.  During installation I always select the manual/expert mode so
        that I am able to select the individual packages that I want installed
        and deselect those that I don't.  Still, after install, I find a
        significant number of packages have been installed that I did not
        want.  For example,  I have no scanner, no USB peripherals, no fax,
        no modem, no palm pilot, etc., yet somehow, a bunch of packages
        related to these somehow always get installed (I normally install both
        KDE and GNOME).  Kpackage makes it easy for me to scroll through the
        list of installed packages, find those that I don't need/want, find
        dependencies that resulted in their installation, traceback these
        dependencies to the source, and easily uninstall.

        2.  Once and a while, something gets installed in an unexpected place,
        and running "which <application>" returns zilch.  Kpackage enables one
        to easily find out where the app got installed.

        3.  Icons:  You want to make a desktop link to a newly installed app
        and need to find out whether an icon exists for this app.  Kpackage
        makes this easy.

        4.  Finding the specific files provided by an RPM so you can satisfy
        dependency requirements

These are just a few that I use fairly regularly.

Regards,
JeffS