Any known issues with USB under 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl?

Atul Chitnis achitnis at exocore.com
Tue Jan 20 15:32:37 UTC 2004

Here is the scenario:

I am currently working under 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl. Yum has regularly been
updating my kernel, and with each kernel after this version that I am
using, I have had issues with my USB modem.

The modem is actually a LG 2030 CDMA phone, and connects to my machine via
a USB cable, which is actually a plain vanilla FTDI USB <-> serial
convertor. To Linux, it looks like a normal modem, and I have absolutely
no hassles with it under 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl. No special modules are needed
(it is not an ACM modem).

Now, when I boot into any kernel *after* 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl (e.g.
2.4.22-1.2149.nptl), I again have no problem at all connecting. But from
thereon, things go downhill.

While DNS resolution happens, incoming packets seem to be getting lost. A
simple SSH to a host 4 hops down the line dies at handshaketime:

debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 zlib
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 zlib
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST sent

after this point, nothing happens.

Similarly, browsing dies - the browser resolves the host, sends out a
connect handshake, and then waits forever for a response from the remote
host.

Please note that if I bring up eth0 (wired ethernet) or eth1 (wireless),
network stuff works without an issue - it is *only* when I connect to my
USB modem under any version after 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl that I face this
problem. it is reproducable at will.

Before I go reporting a bug and driving the developers up the wall, I
wanted to check if anyone would know what is causing this, has had similar
experiences, or did something change after 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl that I don't
know about?

TIA!

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis at exocore.com