xsane-ocr-scanning

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Jan 20 21:44:15 UTC 2004

david walcroft wrote:
> I've ran into 2 problems with scanning on my FC1,this my be OT but
> I've run out of options searching the net looking for info.
>
> 1. I scan a text doc into xsane, save it as .pbm/.pnm, after using
>    xsane ocr but using less to read the file shows it as binary or
>    uninteligable.
>    Using gocr does not change the text using the CLI
>    "gocr -v 1 out1.pnm >out.txt 2>out.log"

.pbm and .pnm are graphics formats. less -should- be reporting them as
binary. There's a difference between saving the scan (which is an image)
and saving the results of ocr (which should save into a file like
'foo.txt').

I notice, however, that FC1 doesn't appear to have gocr availible.
Undeterred, I grabbed
ftp://www.itp.tu-graz.ac.at/pub/redhat/itp/SRPM/gocr-0.37-2.src.rpm
and did a rpmbuild --rebuild on it, then installed the result.

 From inside xsane, pressing the ocr button successfully invoked gocr
and saved the result into 'out.txt' as I'd specified. It did a lousy job
on a 72dpi scan, but performed -much- better on a 200dpi scan. The
200dpi ocr took a minute or two to complete.

> 2. When I scan a photo from my hp psc2110 into xsane save it then
>    print it out the flesh colours always change,if I view via the gimp
>    there is no difference to the original photo.

Does your printer have a way for you do adjust it's color settings? It
sounds like that's where your issue is.