Which kernel does Fedora use?

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Jan 21 11:09:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:59:15 +0000, Darren Hopkins wrote:

> I work for a software company that provides software for specific UNIX
> flavours.
>
> Today we have had a request from one of our customers to get a compile for
> Fedora. We do not have a Fedora box in-house to do a compile on, and I was
> wondering....is Fedora is based on one of the RedHat kernels (5.9 or ES3
> perhaps?)...could we do a compile for this flavour and will it run on
> Fedora?

Is the Linux kernel all which your software depends on? Does it depend on
the kernel at all? What about system libraries, such as glibc, or other
libraries? Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 is close to Red Hat Linux 8.0 and 9.
Fedora Core 1 contains more recent software, including a newer kernel
(2.4.22 plus many fixes/patches from ac and pre kernels as well as
backported features from 2.6).