new install with Via southbridge 8237 chipset

Levin Fritz levinfritz at mediales.net
Wed Jan 21 18:32:12 UTC 2004

Hi,
I have the same problem with my new computer. It has the Via 8237 chipset,
too.

Here's what I found out so far:
The kernel that came with Fedora Core 1 (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl) doesn't
support the controller at all.
Kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl from Fedora updates supports the controller and
reads the drive just fine. It needs a kernel module for that, though, so
you can't boot from an SATA disk.
Kernel 2.6.1-1.47 (from Fedora development, iirc) supports the controller,
but when it tries to read my hdd, it just spits out error messages until I
reboot. It has got the driver built in (not as a module), but it's
unusable for me. I'll investigate that problem some more when I find some
time and post a bug report here or on bugzilla.

Bye,
Levin